History of Llanfyllin Show
It is difficult to say when the first Llanfyllin Show took place. There has been an annual Show of some type goingback possibly to the time of the visit of Charles l. in 1645 an occasion which was celebrated with horse racing on Cefn Bran. That was an isolated event, because it was not until after the Restoration that the next race meeting could be held.
From that time forward, until they were transferred to Oswestry, the Llanfyllin races were a regular feature of the town’s life and their institution in honour of Charles l. was generally acknowledged.
Even after their removal to Oswestry, some kind of event took place locally as recorded in a newspaper article dated 1803 that announced the races being held on 4th July. Stewards were listed as Sir Watkin Williams Wynn and David Evans.
The Charter Fairs also attracted a number of Shows which took place on Penybryn and were often very rowdy affairs, by all accounts, leading to an eventual ban on dogs pulling carts!
The first Show, of which any records survived, is the Agricultural Show of 1869, which took place under the presidency of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. Four more Shows were staged in the years that followed but then there was a lapse until 1890 and even then the event did not become an annual one until 1906-7.